Promoting Diversity and Inclusion GenSoc
Promoting Diversity and Inclusion in a Genealogical Society
Prepared by Brenda Leyndyke, President Michigan Genealogical Council
Some ways to make members feel safe, comfortable, and welcome at your meetings and events:
- Create diversity and inclusion policies.
- Be welcoming to all-welcome all interested parties to your meetings, including nonmembers.
- Accept people for who they are.
- Make meeting spaces accessible to all.
- Publish your policies and statements in newsletters, and on your website, and social media channels.
- Reach out to your community by diversifying your monthly programs -feature speakers that have broad cultural perspectives.
- Have a mini class and spend time each month learning about different cultural traditions.
- Partner with diverse community organizations on meetings and activities- for example, have an LBGT program. Coordinate with your local LBGT organization.
- Be mindful and open to communication where issues can be discussed and improved upon.
- Recruit diverse board members.
- Treat people the way they want to be treated.
- Mirror the community you serve.
- Reevaluate the images you use in your newsletters and website. Do they feature a mixture of races, genders, and religions?
- Keep language gender neutral. For example, use the words “friends” or “people” instead of “ladies and gentlemen” or “guys”.
- Host a cultural fair, ethnic food festival, or cultural art exhibition.
- Recognize heritage holidays and occasions.
- Evaluate yourselves or ask attendees to evaluate the diversity of your organization. Seek their ideas.
- Check in with your members, ask them, “how are you are doing today?”
- Use diverse vendors-actively seek out businesses owned by minorities.
- Hold your meeting at diverse venues -African American churches, mosques, or cultural centers in your area.
For more information,
- National Council for Nonprofits: Why Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Matters in Nonprofits. https://www.councilofnonprofits.org/tools-resources/why-diversity-equity-and-inclusion-matter-nonprofits
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation: Racial Equity Resource Guide Glossary. http://www.racialequityresourceguide.org/about/glossary
- Board Source: Beyond Political Correctness-Building a Diverse and Inclusive Board. https://boardsource.org/resources/building-diverse-inclusive-board/